As the temps cool, it’s time to adapt your go-to salad for the new season. Think hearty bowls brimming with roasted vegetables, lean proteins, wholegrains and mixed greens. It’s the perfect way to nourish yourself!
This Pesto Chicken and Quinoa salad is a great autumn meal. It’s simple and yet so satisfying! Packed with sweet potato, tasty grilled chicken, grains and a good dollop of fragrant basil pesto, it makes a delicious lunch or dinner. You could cook and use other grains, too – amaranth or millet would work well in this salad – or omit the rice and quinoa altogether for a lighter salad.
Pesto chicken & quinoa saladServes 2 hungry people
- 125g microwave brown rice & quinoa (we used a single serving pack of mixed brown rice and quinoa)
- 1 medium-sized sweet potato, cubed and roasted
- 285g grilled cooked chicken breast
- 180g mixed salad leaves (we used a baby spinach, rocket, beetroot and carrot mix)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 1 jar of good quality basil pesto
- Heat brown rice & quinoa according to packet instructions.
- Mix together the salad leaves and brown rice & quinoa in a large salad bowl. Toss with a splash of olive oil, a good squeeze of lemon and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the roasted sweet potatoes and chicken, then dollop the basil pesto on the top. Gently toss again, then divide into two bowls and serve.